At the time of writing, we hope that our Study Abroad placements will go ahead as usual. However, we are unable to predict what is going to happen with the Covid-19 pandemic. We are in touch with our partner universities around the world, and they are keeping us updated on their situation. Some placements may start late or be cancelled. If we become aware of any late starts or cancellations, our team of Placement Coordinators will help you to explore alternative options.
Interested in studying abroad as part of your placement year? Great! Today we’re sharing why we think you should definitely consider it.
- You’ll see a new part of the world! You’ll see how different cultures live, meet people you wouldn’t otherwise have met, and explore new places. You might also get to travel to neighbouring countries.
- You could get the opportunity to study topics that you wouldn’t be able to study at Aston. When recent graduate, Priya, studied abroad at the Technical University of Munich, she was able to study nuclear engineering and German business law!
- You could learn more about yourself. Moving abroad is something a lot of us won’t have experienced, and an experience like this is bound to reveal aspects of your personality that you hadn’t yet discovered.
- It’s an opportunity boost your confidence. You’ll be living abroad in a completely new environment, meeting new people and learning new things all the time. That, my friend, is a recipe for a confidence boost.
- You’ll make friends with other students from around the world. It’s an intense experience, which makes the friendships you form even stronger.
- If you want to learn another language, there’s no better way than immersing yourself in everyday life overseas. French, German, Polish, Danish, Spanish – you don’t necessarily need to speak the language before you go, but it’s a great learning opportunity for when you get there! Plus, if you can get your language to a decent level, it’s an extra something to make your CV stand out.
- You could discover new interests! The country that you study in could offer you the chance to try things that we don’t have much access to here in the UK. Snowboarding in Canada, anyone?
- You’ll enhance your employability. Experience in another country looks really good to employers, especially if you’re interested in a global career.
Applications are currently open for students going on placement in the 2021/22 academic year.
The deadline for applications is Friday 4th December 2020, and you can find all the details for Study Abroad placements on Aston Futures. Don’t forget, if you’d like to chat to us about studying abroad, you can book an appointment with a member of the team on Aston Futures. Appointments are available virtually.
If you’d like to read more about the benefits of studying abroad, U21 has published a new research study about it, which you can read here.