Now, we might be biased, but we think Aston Futures is pretty fantastic. It’s super helpful whatever year you’re in, so if you’re not already, it’s time to get up close and personal with it!
So, what exactly is Aston Futures?
Aston Futures is an online platform that’s run by Careers+Placements. It allows you to do all sorts of things, including:
- Search and apply for opportunities – whether that be internships, placements, graduate jobs, part-time work or volunteering roles. Whatever stage you’re at, we hope you’ll be able to find something that suits your needs (Also, some of the roles on there are exclusive to Aston Futures, which means you won’t find them anywhere else and that employers are looking for you guys in particular. All the more reason to get on it ASAP).
- Book an appointment with the JobShop, Placement Coordinators or Careers Consultants to get support and advice on things like CVs and interviews.
- Browse and book your spot at events including fairs, workshops and employer sessions.
- Set up tailored job alerts so you never miss out on an awesome role.
- Make use of the Career Discovery feed. There are a lot of useful resources over on the Career Discovery feed. The content shown is based on your preferences and activity, so the more you engage with Career Discovery, the better it becomes at understanding your interests and highlighting new content that’s relevant to you. Take a look to stay up-to-date with the latest careers news and trends; be inspired by articles, videos and podcasts; hear directly from those involved in the industries, sectors and companies you are interested in, and more!
How to get started
You can access Aston Futures through our webpages or by Googling it – if you haven’t already, we highly recommend bookmarking the site. You’ll then need to enter in your student username and password. It’s that simple. (FYI – if you’ve graduated from Aston within the last three years, you can still use Aston Futures but you will need to create a graduate account using your personal email address. We don’t want you to miss out, after all).
Once you’re in, the first thing you’ll need to do is set up a profile. You’ll be asked to fill out a few questions, including:
- What kind of opportunities you’re interested in. Fancy a Spanish-speaking placement abroad? Great, just tick the box. Looking for volunteering opportunities with charities? Then tick that box. You get the idea.
- Your preferred occupational areas. Only interested in legal roles? Make sure you add that to your profile too.
- How often you want to receive email alerts.
- Where you are on your career journey. Use the slider tool to let us know roughly where you are – from having no clue about what you want to do to already applying to opportunities. There are no right or wrong answers.
It’s really worth spending some time tailoring your profile as much as possible. This will make the email alerts you receive more relevant – we’d hate for you to receive emails about Event Management roles if you want to work in Investment Banking, for example.
Once you’ve completed your profile, you’ll be ready to start applying for roles, and booking onto events and appointments until your heart’s content. Don’t just forget all about your profile though – it’s important to keep checking it throughout the year and updating it as and when your preferences change.
Where to get more information
There are loads of other cool things about Aston Futures – luckily for you, we’ve pulled together everything you need to know about it, including some tips and tricks for getting the most out of it, right here in this booklet. Happy reading!
P.S. if you need more support with using Aston Futures, we’d be more than happy to help (seeing as we live and breathe Aston Futures). Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a bell on 0121 204 4757.
Written by Jodie Carpenter, Careers+Placements