We’ve been chatting to our friends over at GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), and they’ve very kindly shared with us what they look for in their placement students!
So, if you’re interested in completing a placement at GSK, read on…
- Motivation: We love to see students who genuinely want to work at GSK, who have done some research into what we do, how we do it, and see themselves achieving great things within our culture. If you are writing an application where you could replace the word GSK with another company and it still makes sense, you’re doing yourself a disservice.
- Diverse experience: Whether you are a budding Scientist, Technical wizz, History expert or analytical Engineer there’s a role for you at GSK. Many of our roles in business operations are open to any degree subject and because we’re looking our placement students to have a diverse way of thinking, to challenge ways of working and to bring a fresh perspective to all of our teams. We don’t all wear lab coats, but we all impact patient and consumer lives.
- Aligning to our values and expectations: Our values are at the heart of how we operate, and form our culture at GSK. We want our employees to share these values, and demonstrate our expectations of courage, teamwork, accountability and development in their work. Spoiler alert, these are also the things we will be assessing you against, so have a think about how you demonstrate these behaviours and show us your strengths.
- Patient focus: It’s one of our values, but it’s also the reason we exist as a company. We want our placement students to understand the importance of our patients and consumers and keep them front of mind in all of their decision making. If helping people do more, feel better and live longer is something that will get you out of bed in the morning then we’re the right company for you.
- Show us your strengths: We use strengths-based techniques to recruit across our early talent programmes. So whether it’s your application form, or in person at assessment centre make sure you are thinking about what your strengths are, how they align to our values and expectations and bringing energy and enthusiasm to all your tasks.