Hello – it’s the JobShop team here! We’re part of Careers and Placements and we do all sorts of things to help you become as employable as possible throughout your time here at Aston. Want to find out what? Then carry on reading…
First of all, what does the JobShop team do?
That’s a good question. Basically, our mission is to help you develop your transferable skills and gain work experience either by working part-time or volunteering – or both! We can help you find a fantastic role that fits around your studies. We can also offer CV support and give you advice on applying for roles, as well as helping with interview preparation.
No matter what year you’re in, we’re here to help you find work experience!
So, what does a typical day in the JobShop look like?
Our days in the JobShop are pretty varied. Here’s a little overview of the sorts of things we work on:
- Check the JobShop inbox. It’s important that we keep on top of this inbox as we get lots of queries coming through, ranging from requests for help finding a particular role to asking for advice on preparing for an interview. If you’ve got your own question relating to work experience, make sure to send an email our way: email@example.com
- Host 1-to-1 appointments. These are a chance for students to chat to us 1-to-1 about any aspect of their search for work experience. At the moment, these take place virtually – either via phone or a video platform. We appreciate that it can be a daunting prospect chatting to a staff member like this, but please don’t fret! These appointments are informal, yet supportive – after all, we want you to find some amazing work experience, just as much as you do!
- Organise and deliver events. Throughout the year, we run a number of events to help raise awareness of work experience and organisations that are recruiting. For example, we sometimes hold events where organisations with live roles come and chat to you about their opportunities and how you can apply for them. We also hold regular virtual work experience chats which are a chance for you to pop along and ask us any questions you have about finding and applying for part-time jobs and volunteering roles. When it’s safe to do so, we also hold work experience fairs on campus.
- Conduct business development. This basically means that we work closely with external companies to source exciting work experience opportunities for Aston students (which we then promote through Aston Futures, so make sure to take a look and update your profile to receive relevant email alerts about opportunities if you haven’t already). These are often also the organisations that come along to our events throughout the year, which means you have the chance to chat to them directly and ask any burning questions you may have.
- Attend wider team meetings. There are lots of people who work in Careers and Placements (over 70!) so we attend lots of meetings with our colleagues. This is to ensure we’re keeping everyone in the loop with things we’re working on and common questions/concerns we hear from students, and to see if there’s anything we can support our colleagues with. Everything we all do is designed to help you, so it’s important that all the staff across Careers and Placements share ideas, developments and best practice with each other.
- Cross-team collaboration. Following on from the previous point, we often work closely with other teams in Careers and Placements on particular projects. For example, we often collaborate with the careers marketing team (you can find out more about them in this blog post) to raise awareness of the JobShop itself amongst students and to implement marketing campaigns – we recently worked with the team on the Outside The Box campaign, which was designed to raise the profile of things like volunteering and virtual internships.
How can I reach out to you?
We’d love to hear from you if you’re interested in looking for work experience. You can book an appointment with a member of the JobShop team via Aston Futures. You can also contact us by calling 0121 204 4844 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ve also compiled some of the most frequently asked questions we get about part-time jobs and volunteering opportunities which you may find useful.
We hope to hear from you soon!
Written by the JobShop team