As an international student, it can be hard to know what your career options are. The questions around visas and permits are many, and knowing where to look for roles that suit your needs can be tough. To help, we’ve put together a guide to help you get the most out of the opportunities available to you as an international student at Aston. So let’s get started…
Visas & permits and rights to work.
The Hub at Aston University is the first place you should go to for support and advice on issues involving visas and your right to work in the UK. You can speak to an International Student Adviser or take a look at the wide variety of resources they have on their webpages:
- Visa Compliance
- Working in the UK during your studies
- EU students working in the UK
- Can I do a placement year?
Tips and Support
Once you have decided which country you’d like to study or work in, it’s helpful to know what support is available to you. Here’s a list of resources that can help:
- Guide to Job-hunting for International Students
- Resources for International Students
- FAQs on Placements for International Students
- Postgraduate Advice for International Students
- UK Council for International Student Affairs
- Midlands International Group
When applying for an opportunity, whether international or in the UK, it’s important to have a good CV (curriculum vitae) that sells your skills to potential employers. We’ve put together a few tips on creating CV’s, Cover Letters and Application Forms.
Where to find opportunities
There are 100’s of places where you can find opportunities for international students. But to save you, we’ve put together a list of great job-hunting tools and websites. Take a look!
- GradConnection has one of the largest pools of graduate jobs for international students. Employers using the system are looking to hire returning students for both full-time jobs and internships.
- GoinGlobal is an amazing resource for international opportunities. It is an online internship and jobs database that we have subscribed to so that you have access to the latest vacancies worldwide.
- Aston Futures is an exclusive platform for Aston University students and hosts many international graduate opportunities.
- Student Circus hosts exclusive jobs and internships from employers willing to sponsor the UK Tier 2 visa.
- Gradlink is useful if you are an international student or graduate who has studied or is studying in the UK. It features job opportunities in China, ASEAN, Gulf, Canada, Africa, India and Bangladesh.
- IHipo helps students and graduates to find internships, jobs and graduate programs abroad. As well as vacancies, it offers advice on applying for international posts and finding summer internships, internship programs and internships abroad.
- LockIn China gives Aston students and graduates access to an online jobs portal which contains opportunities from thousands of Chinese employers looking to provide career help to Chinese overseas students as well as other international students and alumni who are willing to seek opportunities in China.
Working or Studying in another Country
Leaving home to work or study overseas can be a daunting prospect. There are so many new things to learn, not only about your new job or course but about language and culture too. TARGETJobs have put together a fantastic series of tips and advice for working overseas.
Prospects have also published a series of country profiles on their website, where you can find out more about visas, language requirements and the typical working life of the country you are interested in working in. Make sure to take a look at them too!
Want to find out more?
You can book an appointment to speak with our friendly and professional advisers. Just log in to Aston Futures. Alternatively, you can drop-in to the Careers+Placements Centre between 9.00am and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday, all year round.